32 Veterans Drive
Machias, ME 04654
Administrator: Marcia Jackson
Machias is the sixth of the six long term care Maine Veterans' Home. It was built on the campus of the Down East Community Hospital provides a 30-bed residential care facility for veterans, their spouses, widows, widowers, and gold star parents in the early stages of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementias.
- Quiet rooms where residents and family members can rest, meditate or just "get away" for a few moments
- Separate dining and living rooms for each unit
- A Multi-purpose room that features a large screen TV, organ and piano
- Two therapy gyms
- Modern therapy facilities
- A barber/beauty shop
- A fully equipped kitchen that provides varied menus under the supervision of a Registered Dietician
- A wheelchair accessible van is available for residents to participate in community events and entertainment
- Alzheimer's Care / Dementia Care
Traveling North on Interstate 95: Take Exit 182A on Interstate 95. Follow sign to Route 385 and take exit 4 to Route 9. Continue through Brewer on Route 9 towards Calais. Take a right on Route 182 to the intersection of Route 1. At the stop sign, take a right on Route 1. Maine Veterans' Home is on the right.
Coming from the South on Interstate 95: Take the Bangor/Brewer exit and follow exit signs to Route 9. Take a right on Route 192 to Route 1A (approximately 20 miles). Take a right on Route 1A and continue to Veterans Way on the right. Follow Veterans Way and bear right. Maine Veterans' Home is at the end of the road.